Saturday, September 13, 2014

Appeal for an Oblate of the ICRSS

In the interest of furthering the advance of Catholic Tradition and supporting, I am happy to present the profile and appeal of a wonderful young man who has just been accepted into the oblatehood of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest in Wausau, Wisconsin. As you probably know, members of traditional priestly fraternities are required to pay the full cost of their tuition. Please read about Kevin Koski - a young man I met last year at the Catholic Identity Conference - and consider supporting his vocation financially. Here is a message from Kevin:

Salvete! My name is Kevin Koski and I am a new candidate for the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. I am 27 years of age and was born and raised in Central Maine. A cradle Catholic, I attended a Catholic elementary school in Augusta. In 2010 I graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a B.S. in Kinesiology: Exercise Science. I went on to perform missionary work in Denver and study theology for a year at Franciscan University of Steubenville. At Franciscan, I aided implementation of the Traditional Mass on campus. It was in September 2012 that I began discerning a religious vocation. I am now entering formation due to a fervor to help build the Church back to Her former glory. Moreover, by being formed in the Institute’s charism and spirituality, I hope to be an integral part of the restoration of authentic Catholic culture by promoting the classical Roman Liturgy and the superior beauty and euphony of the compositions found in sacred music.

Checks can be made out to Kevin Koski and sent to 6 Townsend Street,Augusta, ME 04330. If you do choose to donate, please mention that you did so as a result of seeing this post. If he gets a good response, maybe we can feature more seminarian and oblate appeals in the future, as does Rorate and other traditional blogs.

Just to make sure everything is on the up and up, here is a copy of Kevin's letter of acceptance from the Institute:


3 comments:

Nick said...

How much does tuition cost per year? Total?

I'm personally very skeptical and saddened by some of the outrageous price tags I've seen on some religious formation costs. The Dominicans in my area have an annual appeal where they try to argue that it costs like $40k or something outrageous like that per seminarian.

When the Business Model has been foisted upon Catholic practices, that's a sure way to block progress and the blessing of the Holy Spirit. It's plain that tuition for forming our religious should be minimal, especially considering nobody had such money back in the day (nor even today in places like Africa where they can run a whole seminary for probably $10k per year).

Titus said...

Eh, lights, food, HVAC, pay for the lay staff, the costs add up.

Why can't people write checks directly to the ICKSP? You might be able to write that off on your taxes.

Kevin Koski said...

Hello everyone, it's Kevin. Nick, the answer to your question is $4,800 which covers the cost of room & board, a Latin and French tutor, etc. On top of the $4,800, I also have to pay monthly for my own health insurance. Because I cannot work during formation and my parents can only do so much, I have to fundraise.

Titus, people can write the checks directly to the ICKSP if they would like. The address is: 408 Seymour Street, Wausau, Wisconsin 54403. The only problem with this method is that if someone donated and did not mention what they wanted their money used for (e.g., helping me out), the Institute would receive the money and use it as they saw fit. Regarding taxes, I can definitely see how it would help the donor on their taxes but I am fairly confident it would not help me out on mine.